Tuesday, August 21, 2007

lose the tie

It must be obvious now that my agenda is a progressive one: we must give kids better educational tools. And you won't be surprised to learn that I am left of center politically. However, even I recognize that my tastes and lifestyle are on the conservative side.

So you can imagine how odd I looked having lunch with my sister and her new boyfriend, who wore a T-shirt and a baseball hat through lunch. I took off my tie when I saw them, but it didn't help much.
His money comes from a company he and a dorm-mate started in grad school - not Google, but actually connected. They help companies optimize adds placed in the side-bar of Google searches. They wrote and placed an ad for my company.

What my sister admires most about this man, I think, is that he is truly self-made. His father is a college professor and his mother is a psychologist. In general, I doubt whether such rapid successes can often be maintained; but in his case, I suspect that his energy and vision will continue to fuel it. Or maybe I just hope so for my sister's sake.

"I just can't imagine his life," Ellie once said. "He doesn't seem to have a passion for anything."

I wondered if she thought I had any passions.

"Of course! Education. No, trust me: you are passionate about education, whether you realize it or not."

Gratifying words.

No comments: